Katie Couric Explains Kim Kardashian Remark: 'I Didn't Mean to Hurt Her Feelings'
The ABC host clarifies that she wasn't trying to upset the reality star when she wondered about her family's fame.
Rather than fan flames of what could've been a social-media feud, Katie Couric said she wasn't trying to upset Kim Kardashian when she remarked of her family, "why are they so famous?"
Earlier this week, the ABC host was asked about the Kardashian phenomenon by a celebrity magazine reporter. "I don’t understand -- why are they so famous? I think it’s mostly teenage girls that are interested," she told In Touch Weekly.
Kardashian responded by posting a photo of Couric's baby gift congratulations card given to her and her boyfriend Kanye West.
The reality TV star, who welcomed a baby girl, North West, in June, hashtagged the image: "#IHateFakeMediaFriends #MayIHumblySuggestYouNotSendGiftsThenTalkS--t." She also posted the note to Twitter, where it was retweeted over 1,000 times.
Later that day, Couric replied in a statement to E! News that she was merely answering a question posed by a reporter.
"I was responding to a reporter's question, and explaining how I'm intrigued by the public's fascination with her family. I didn't mean to hurt her feelings. The gift is genuine, and I'm happy for Kim and Kanye," read Couric's statement to E! News.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting