Katie Holmes Avoided Talking About Tom Cruise in Interview Given One Day Before Divorce Filing
The actress never mentioned him by name and was said to become flustered when asked whether the couple's daughter, Suri, brought them closer together.
Katie Holmes dropped hints that her marriage to Tom Cruise was in trouble in a magazine interview given one day before she filed for divorce from the actor.
The actress avoided talking about her then-husband in the June 27 interview with California lifestyle magazine C senior editor Kelsey McKinnon -- and actually never mentioned his name once, according to McKinnon.
"Going back over the tapes, there were signs: Holmes was certainly very aware of herself, laying a couple of cards on the table but never showing her whole hand," McKinnon writes, according to the New York Post, adding: "Most noticeably, the one name decisively absent from her lexicon: Tom Cruise. She never actually refers to him by name over pages and pages of transcription."
At one point, Holmes was said to become flustered when asked whether Suri, her 6-year-old daughter with Cruise, had brought the couple closer together.
"I don't know," she replied. "I mean ... I don't know. People have been having babies a long time."
Asked about her future, Holmes said she is "ready to take on some more challenging roles."
Holmes added that, as a mother and wife, she feels like she has more to offer as an actress.
"I feel like I worked so much at such a young age that I really wanted to have life experiences," she said. "I feel more balanced and like I have more to bring to the table."
Holmes' interview with C magazine wasn't the only one she gave in which she foreshadowed her split from Cruise, who was allegedly blindsided by the filing after five years of marriage. She also hinted at what was to come in a sitdown with Elle magazine that took place six weeks before her divorce filing in New York City.
"He has been Tom Cruise for 30 years," she says in the publication's August issue. "I know who I am and where I am and where I want to go, so I want to focus on that."
Cruise and Holmes reached a settlement in their divorce proceedings July 9, less than two weeks after she filed divorce papers.
"We are committed to working together as parents to accomplish what is in our daughter Suri's best interests," a joint statement released by the couple read. "We want to keep matters affecting our family private and express our respect for each other's commitment to each of our respective beliefs and support each other's roles as parents."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10