Katy Perry Notches Her 9th No. 1 Radio Single With 'Wide Awake'
The song, off Perry's "Part of Me" concert doc, also marks the pop princess' 10th No. 1 on Billboard's dance chart.
Katy Perry really is living a dream.
The pop star obtained her ninth No. 1 single on Top 40 radio on Tuesday, alongside her tenth No. 1 on the Billboard Dance/Club Play chart, for her smash hit “Wide Awake” off Teenage Dream: The Complete Confection, the special edition of her most recent album.
Perry now ties Rihanna’s record for most No. 1s on Billboard’s Top 40 chart, but Billboard commented on why Perry’s latest hit is different than Rihanna’s. "The achievement is even more impressive given that while the chart launched the week of Oct. 3, 1992, Rihanna didn’t first grace the list until 2005 and Perry didn’t arrive until 2008," the article states. "Of the acts with the most Mainstream Top 40 No. 1s, the top seven are women.”
Perry and Rihanna are trailed by Lady Gaga, Pink and Britney Spears, who each have seven respective No. 1s. Beyonce and Mariah Carey both have six.
"Wide Awake" is also featured on Perry’s 3D film, Part Of Me, which was released on July 5 of this year. The film, which chronicles Perry’s career as a global superstar, will soon gross $30 million dollars internationally. Her film has also been noted as the fourth biggest music documentary of all time.
Perry’s first No. 1 came from her debut album, One of the Boys, with the song “Waking Up In Vegas,” which was released in April 2009.
Tuesday marks more than just one achievement for Perry, as she has also been nominated for four MTV Video Music Awards, including Video of the Year for "Wide Awake."
Countdown to the Oscars
- Sandra Bullock to Make $70 Million (At Least) for 'Gravity'
- '12 Years a Slave': Solomon Northup's Descendants Gather for THR Photo Shoot, Reflect on His Legacy
- 20 Feet From Movie Stardom: The Overlooked Story of Hollywood's Greatest Extra
- Six Top Directors on Fighting With Studios, Firing Actors and Quitting Film School
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Maya Angelou Shares The Advice She'd Give Her Younger Self (VIDEO)
- Red Carpet Protesters Ask For Yearly Wages That Add Up To At Least One Oscar Gown
- Kristen Ellis-Henderson and Cathy Henderson of Antigone Rising Talk New EP Supporting LGBT Rights (AUDIO)
- Oscar Winners Should Learn From Joe Pesci & Alfred Hitchcock