KCRW Studios Evacuated During Shooting Near Santa Monica College
UPDATED: Five people are dead after a gunman went on a rampage in the area.
Radio station KCRW said that it safely evacuated staff from its studios and office on Santa Monica College on Friday as a gunman in the area opened fire.
The station broadcasts from the basement in Cayton Center on the campus. It is now broadcasting local news from NPR West's studios in Culver City.
"KCRW remains evacuated after the tragic events that happened today in and around the campus of Santa Monica College. Some of the shots were fired right outside our offices, and we are relieved that our staff escaped harm," said Jennifer Ferro, KCRW general manager, in a statement.
"It's never easy to leave the scene of a story unfolding before our news team's eyes, but the safety of our staff will always be our paramount concern," Ferro stated. "Our hearts go out to those in the Santa Monica College community and surrounding neighborhood, of which we are a part. Even while evacuated, our news team continues to gather information and will report on the events as they develop."
The college issued an emergency alert and went on lockdown earlier in the day. All students were warned to stay away from the campus on Friday.
The gunman killed four people during the rampage before being shot by police at Santa Monica College Library, the Associated Press reported.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!