Kennedy Center Honors: Obama Salutes Dustin Hoffman, David Letterman, Led Zeppelin
The president described the honorees, who also included bluesman Buddy Guy and ballerina Natalia Makarova, as "some extraordinary people who have no business being on the same stage together."
President Obama kept the audience laughing at the Kennedy Center Honors on Sunday night.
The Washington D.C. event bestowed the nation's highest award for individuals who have influenced American culture on bluesman Buddy Guy, actor Dustin Hoffman, late-night host David Letterman, ballerina Natalia Makarova and Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page and Robert Plant.
The president drew laughs when he described the diverse group of honorees as "some extraordinary people who have no business being on the same stage together," the Associated Press reported.
Obama then proceeded to roast the honorees, noting Letterman’s humble beginnings as an Indianapolis weatherman, once reporting that hail "the size of canned hams" was coming down.
"It’s one of the highlights of his career," Obama said.
He also thanked the members Led Zeppelin for behaving themselves since they have a reputation of "hotel rooms trashed and mayhem all around."
"It’s fitting that we’re doing this in a room with windows that are about three inches thick and Secret Service all around," Obama quipped.
Turning serious, Obama added that all of the honorees have "inspired us to see things in a new way, to hear things differently, to discover something within us or to appreciate how much beauty there is in the world."
Among the stars turning out for Sunday's event were Robert De Niro, Tina Fey, Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Kimmel, Ray Romano and Dave Grohl.
Meryl Streep first introduced the honorees Saturday during a dinner hosted by Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton.
"Dave and I have a history," Clinton quipped at the event. "I have been a guest on his show several times, and if you include references to my pant suits, I’m on at least once a week."
The Kennedy Center Honors ceremony will air Dec. 26 on CBS.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Sunny Day Real Estate Releases 'Lipton Witch,' First Song In 14 Years
- 'Batman Beyond' Animated Short Premieres At WonderCon In Honor of Franchise's 75th Anniversary
- Here Is A Photo Of Mariah Carey Dressed As A Bunny And Using Nick Cannon As Furniture
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress
- Lea Michele Gets Cozy with Co-Star on Her Music Video Set!
- Madonna Wants Us to Get Behind Her to Start a Love Evolution!
- Calvin Harris Previews Small Sample of Rita Ora's New Single - Listen Now!