Kevin Costner in Talks to Star in Disney's Sports Drama 'McFarland'
Niki Caro is directing the true-life story, which follows a 1980s track-and-field coach living in the titular California town.
Kevin Costner is in talks to star in McFarland, a sports drama that Niki Caro is directing for Disney.
Mayhem Pictures' Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray, who produced such inspirational true-life sports dramas as Miracle, Invincible and Secretariat, are producing McFarland.
Another true-life tale, McFarland is the 1980s story of a coach living in McFarland, Calif., a predominantly Latino small town outside Bakersfield. The coach created a high school track team that overcame many social and physical hurdles to become champions.
Disney is making the movie for $17 million and using Costner to anchor the cast.
Sports drama is a current that runs through Costner’s body of work, and McFarland will join Field of Dreams, Tin Cup and For the Love of the Game as examples of that work.
Costner is repped by WME, One Talent Management and Jeffer Mangels.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)