Kevin Costner in Talks to Star in Disney's Sports Drama 'McFarland'
Niki Caro is directing the true-life story, which follows a 1980s track-and-field coach living in the titular California town.
Kevin Costner is in talks to star in McFarland, a sports drama that Niki Caro is directing for Disney.
Mayhem Pictures' Mark Ciardi and Gordon Gray, who produced such inspirational true-life sports dramas as Miracle, Invincible and Secretariat, are producing McFarland.
Another true-life tale, McFarland is the 1980s story of a coach living in McFarland, Calif., a predominantly Latino small town outside Bakersfield. The coach created a high school track team that overcame many social and physical hurdles to become champions.
Disney is making the movie for $17 million and using Costner to anchor the cast.
Sports drama is a current that runs through Costner’s body of work, and McFarland will join Field of Dreams, Tin Cup and For the Love of the Game as examples of that work.
Costner is repped by WME, One Talent Management and Jeffer Mangels.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott