'Kick-Ass' kicks aside competitors on charts
'Diary of a Wimpy Kid,' 'The Ghost Writer' also released
Lionsgate's "Kick-Ass" kicked aside all competitors on the home video charts its debut week, taking the No. 1 spot on the national sales, Blu-ray Disc sales and rental charts.
The superhero spoof, which earned $48 million during its theatrical run, narrowly beat out Fox's "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" on the sales chart for the week ended Aug. 8. The family title based on the popular book sold 88% as many units as "Kick-Ass" to come in at No. 2.
But "Kick-Ass" was the week's clear Blu-ray winner, easily defeating last week's top seller, Warner's "Clash of the Titans," which finished at No. 2, and "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," which landed at No. 3. The title also tied "Avatar's" record in Blu-ray percentage sales for a No. 1 release this year, selling nearly half of its units (49%) in the high-definition format.
On Home Media Magazine's video rental chart, "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" took the silver for the week behind "Kick-Ass," while "Titans" finished in the third spot. "Titans" also finished at No. 3 on the sales chart.
Summit's new release "The Ghost Writer," a Roman Polanski-helmed thriller that tallied $15 million at the boxoffice, debuted behind "Titans" on the sales chart and at No. 6 on the rental chart for the week.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR