Kickstarter to Launch in Canada This Summer
The expansion into its second-largest market follows rival crowdfunding site Indiegogo.
KARLOVY VARY -- Crowdfunding platform Kickstarter is to expand into Canada later this summer, according to an announcement on its Twitter account.
The crowdfunding platform for new businesses is so far inviting Canadians to submit their e-mail and project category to receive a signal when the site arrives north of the border.
Canadian filmmakers have looked to the crowdfunding service with relish since Kickstarter helped raise financing for a Veronica Mars movie and Zach Braff's Kickstarter campaign for Wish I Was Here closed with nearly $3.1 million in donations.
The move north by Kickstarter follows rival Indiegogo, which has Canada as its second-largest market, last week expanding its payment options for local content creators.
Kickstarter launched in the U.K. a year ago.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama