Kim Kardashian-Kris Humphries Wedding Photos Sell for $1.5 Million
The reality television family is expected to make money, not spend it, off of Saturday's ceremony.
Exclusive photos of Kim Kardashian's wedding to NBA player Kris Humphries were sold to People magazine for $1.5 million, according to insiders. The weekly shelled out $300,000 to the couple for their engagement announcement in May, and bested several other publications in a bidding war for the ceremony pics.
Britain's OK! magazine paid $100,000 for exclusive bridal shower coverage.
These high-priced deals, coupled with freebies bartered in exchange for promotion, make Kardashian one of the rare brides who will actually bring in more for her wedding than she paid for it. Saturday's ceremony has been estimated to cost at least half a million dollars but those costs are offset by items such as a free, $20,000 Vera Wang gown and a lucrative deal with E! for the two-part Kim's Fairytale Wedding: A Kardashian Event special.
Other celebrity couples that have cashed in on their nuptials include Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas, Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes, and Elizabeth Taylor, who gave her payment to charity.
OK! paid Zeta-Jones and Douglas one million pounds for the right to publish exclusive photos of their 2000 bash (the publication later won a lawsuit against rival Hello! magazine, which published unauthorized snapshots taken with a hidden camera).
People was the highest bidder for the Cruise-Holmes Italian wedding in 2006 and for Taylor's wedding to Larry Fortensky at Michael Jackson's Neverland Ranch in 1991. Cruise and Holmes saved cash at the Odescalchi Castle by having its usual $50,000 usage fee waived. Taylor gave People's $1 million fee towards AIDS research, according to Forbes.
Kardashian might also cash in on a second wedding reception on Aug. 31 -- less than two weeks after she says "I do" this weekend in Montecito, Calif. The second bash will be thrown by Niche Media founder and president Jason Binn (Los Angeles Confidential, Hamptons) and celebrity wedding planner Colin Cowie, according to Women's Wear Daily. A venue has not yet been booked.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)