Canada Names Kim Nguyen's 'War Witch' as Foreign Language Oscar Candidate
The Africa-set drama bowed in Berlin, where lead actress Rachel Mwanza won the Silver Bear award.
TORONTO – Canada has chosen director/writer Kim Nguyen’s Africa-set drama War Witch (Rebelle) as its contender in the best foreign language film category at the 85th Academy Awards.
The drama about a young, African girl kidnapped by rebels and forced to fight at gunpoint won a Silver Bear best actress award for Congo’s Rachel Mwanza after bowing in Berlin.
“We are proud that Kim Nguyen’s War Witch, which has been sold in more than 25 territories, is representing Canada and we are confident that it will win over the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences,” Telefilm Canada executive director Carolle Brabant said Tuesday.
The Canadian film, which also won awards at Tribeca before being picked up by Tribeca Films for a stateside release, was produced by Pierre Even and Marie-Claude Poulin of Montreal-based Item 7.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR