'King's Speech' Producers Set Next Project (Exclusive)
Iain Canning and Emile Sherman are teaming with Canadian producer Christina Piovesan on romantic comedy American English.
The King's Speech producers Iain Canning and Emile Sherman are teaming with Canadian producer Christina Piovesan on romantic comedy American English.
Ian Iqbal Rashid will write and direct the film, about a New Jersey born-and-bred young woman who lives in London and tries to mask her background. Succeeding in being “perfectly” English, she's soon engaged to the man of her dreams. There's just one problem -- she's about to get a visit from her mother, the one thing about her Jersey roots she can't hide.
Canning and Sherman will produce via their See-Saw Films -- based in London and Sydney, Australia -- while Piovesan produces via her First Generation Films.
See-Saw and First Generation envision the project as an contemporary take on the British romantic comedies of the 1990s and 2000's.
Rashid is scheduled to being shooting this year.
Canning and Sherman have enjoyed phenomenal success with King's Speech, which heads into Oscar weekend the frontrunner for best picture after picking up numerous other top awards.
King's Speech also is doing blockbuster business at the worldwide box office, grossing north of $236 million to date.
Other upcoming See-Saw projects include Shame, which Steve McQueen is currently filming in New York. The film stars Carey Mulligan and Michael Fassbender, and is a follow up to McQueen's Hunger, for which the filmmaker won the 2008 Camera D'Or for best first feature at the Cannes Film Festival.
Piovesan's producing credits include The Whistleblower, which Samuel Goldwyn Films will release in August, and Amreeka.
Rashid has directed two previous features, How She Move and Touch of Pink, both of which premiered at the Sundance Film Festival. Paramount Vantage bought and released How She Move, while Sony Pictures Classics scooped up Touch of Pink.
Rashid is repped by UTA in the U.S. and The Agency in the U.K.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!