Kinosmith Takes Canadian Rights to Sundance Title 'BlackFish'
The distributor also picked up the local rights to the Hot Docs opener "The Manor," which will receive a world premiere in Toronto on Thursday night.
TORONTO – Canadian distributor Kinosmith has picked up from Magnolia Pictures the Sundance title Blackfish, American writer/director Gabriela Cowperthwaite's killer whale documentary.
Kinosmith also acquired the Canadian rights to the Hot Docs opener The Manor, Shawney Cohen's debut theatrical film about his family running a strip club in southern Ontario.
The Manor was initially pitched at the IDFA Forum and will receive a world premiere to launch the 20th edition of Hot Docs on Thursday night.
Magnolia and CNN Films earlier grabbed the North American rights to Blackfish at Sundance.
Magnolia plans a summer theatrical release for Blackfish, followed by a domestic broadcast debut on CNN later this year.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR