KOFIC defends contractors

Responds to petition from indie directors

SEOUL – The Korean Film Council reassured the industry Monday that the selection process for its media center and indie cinema was fair, defending the council's decision against the petition signed by Korean independent directors, who blamed the council for appointing a new theater contractor last week. The directors claimed the decision was “biased,” and demanded the council revise the jury process.
 
The directors said the previous contractors – Indie Space and Mediact – who were highly experienced with handling indie films – had been forced to resign and replaced with a new contractor. The council explained the three jury members made a unanimous decision to support the final candidate, and the process had no improper intention.
 
“We regret that there are misunderstandings surrounding the appointment of the new contractor,” KOFIC said in a statement. "The focus of the council's projects should be based on promoting Korean cinema, not on political ideology."
 
Last month, the council designated a new contractor to manage indie screens funded by the goverment-supported film body. The local indie directors, however, pointed that the new contractors received the lowest score in the shortlist and raised the council's political agenda in dismissing the previous operators.
comments powered by Disqus