'The Krays' Stars Martin and Gary Kemp Reunite for British Gangster Movie
The duo, formerly of pop band Spandau Ballet, will star in "Assassin" opposite Danny Dyer.
LONDON – Former popstars in the British 1980s band Spandau Ballet Martin and Gary Kemp are to be re-united on the big screen in front of camera for the first time since 1991 when they played British gangland siblings in The Krays.
The brothers are not straying far from their first roles, signing to play more British capital gangsters named the Alberts brothers in Assassin, opposite Danny Dyer.
The Kemp brothers played the Kray Brothers – real life siblings who ruled the organized crime scene in the East End of London in the 1950s and1960s – in the movie directed by Peter Mendak, which went on to enjoy cult status.
Assassin is to be produced by Jonathan Sothcott via his Richwater Films banner and is written, directed and co-produced by J.K. Amalou.
Sothcott is producing Martin Kemp's sophomore directorial outing Top Dog, a British crime drama movie adaptation of the cult novel by Dougie Brimson (Green Street) and has several projects up and running with Dyer.
“The Krays is one of the best-loved British films of all time, an untouchable classic that only a lunatic would remake, but at the core of that movie are the fantastic performances of Martin and Gary,” said Sothcott.
“Reuniting them for Assassin is a real coup, a dream come true, and I know their army of fans are going to love seeing what unpleasant plans they have for Mr Dyer.”
Filming is set to shoot from September 9 on location in London. Anchor Bay Entertainment has U.K. and Australian rights and will release the movie in 2014.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10