Kristen Stewart Drops Out of Heist Thriller 'Focus'; Will Smith In Talks
If a deal makes, Smith would take the role vacated by Ben Affleck.
Kristen Stewart is no longer set to star in Focus, a Warner Bros. heist project being directed by Crazy, Stupid, Love helmers Glenn Ficarra and John Requa. And as Stewart exits, the project could be landing a male star in Will Smith.
Focus is a two-hander about a con man who becomes romantically involved with a novice. He is then thrown off his game when the former flame shows up just as he’s staging an elaborate con in Buenos Aires.
Requa and Ficarra wrote the script with their Crazy, Stupid, Love stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in mind but when the actors were unavailable, moved to Ben Affleck and Stewart.
Affleck dropped out in December, causing a new search for a leading man. Sources say in recent weeks Stewart also quietly exited the project.
And now Smith is in talks to take the male lead. If a deal comes together, he would be back in business with Warners, which has been itching to work with the actor since 2007's I Am Legend.
The studio has courted him on several projects, including on an adaptation of DC Comics’ anti-hero space bounty hunter comic, Lobo.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR