Kylie Minogue, Jason Donovan Concert Reunion in London Cancelled
A waterlogged Hyde Park, cut up by foot traffic from a prior weekend concert event cited as being too dangerous for fans to risk for the Australian favorites.
LONDON – A one off concert reuniting Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan on stage for the first time in more than 20 years has been cancelled.
The concert, set for London's Hyde Park Wednesday evening has been called off due to the bad weather in the British capital which has left the grounds "unsafe."
The proposed outdoor concert was to reunite artists who found fame on the PWL record label, which is marking its 25th anniversary.
Donovan and Minogue found fame in the U.K. via Australian TV soap opera Neighbours which aired on the BBC in the 1980s and 1990s.
The duo's characters married on the show and for tv viewers of a certain age, the wedding episode was one of the most watched events on British screens.
The pair's wedding song, Especially For You, became the fourth-highest selling single in the U.K. in 1988 and peaked at the top of the charts in January 1999.
Concert organizers Pete Waterman and record producer told the BBC he was "devastated for everyone" involved.
He added: "What can I say? We've had exceptional weather. If it's not safe, it's not safe and you can't control that."
Minogue, who yesterday posted a picture of her rehearsals with Donovan, in a statement on her website said: "I am so sorry to hear that the concert tomorrow had to be cancelled. I feel for all the fans who had bought tickets to this special event. Jason [Donovan] and I were rehearsed and excited to share this moment with everyone."
Kylie posted pictures of rehearsals on her Twitter account on Monday.
Other acts from the music label including Steps, Sinitta, Sonia, Rick Astley, Bananarama, Pepsi and Shirlie and Brother Beyond had also been due to perform at the concert.
Via his Twitter account Donovan said they were all "extremely disappointed" and that they had not taken the decision lightly.
He added: "Can't believe it... Was really looking forward to celebrating the wonderful work of Mike, Matt and Pete and all who made those songs so special to a generation!"
Waterman said he hoped the concert could be restaged at some point in the future, but added "it's not that easy" as Steps are due to go on tour and other acts have prior commitments.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Lindsay Lohan Misses Her AA Meeting, Blames Paparazzi On Premiere Of OWN Series (VIDEO)
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed