L.A. Auto Show: Mercedes Vision Gran Turismo to Star in New Edition of Video Game
The concept car, built as source material for the car racing franchise, was the talk of the show.
What may be the most stunning car at the 2013 L.A. Auto Show was purpose built for a video game.
At a press conference Nov. 20, Gorden Wagener, vice president of Design Dammler AG, unveiled the Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo, a 1:1 scale model of a concept car to be featured in the latest edition of the Gran Turismo video game, to be released in December.
To commemorate the 15th anniversary of the game, Kazunori Yamauchi, producer of the Gran Tuirsmo series, reached out to carmakers to design futuristic cars to be used in subsequent editions. The jaw-dropping Vision Gran Turismo was Mercedes' contribution.
The car recalls classic Mercedes designs -- the grille is reminiscent of the 1952 300SL race car, rendered in animated LED lights -- but overall is longer, lower and more aggressive-looking than anything to come out of the Benz mothership. The fastback rear comprises a single unbroken crimson taillight and exhaust ports that wouldn't look out of place on an F-16.
Although the car is destined to be the source material for the video game, it is spec'd with a real-world 577 hp AMG biturbo V8.
Seriously, this beast makes Tony Stark's Audi R8 look like a Kiddie Car.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack