Soccer World Reacts to L.A. Galaxy's MLS Championship
David Beckham leaves the team as it wins its second consecutive cup in a 3-1 victory over the Houston Dynamo.
In one fell swoop, the Los Angeles Galaxy claimed its second consecutive Major League Soccer title and played its final game with superstar David Beckham in the lineup. Before a record crowd of 30,510 at the Home Depot Center in Carson, Calif., the Galaxy defeated the Houston Dynamo 3-1.
The game was tied until its 65th minute, when Landon Donovan scored on a penalty kick. Omar Gonzalez took home the MLS Cup Most Valuable Player award for his dominating performance. But with Beckham’s announcement last month that he would be leaving the AEG-owned team after six seasons, much of the focus was placed on his final game.
Below is a sampling of how the soccer world reacted to the Galaxy win and Beckham’s departure.
Galaxy midfielder Jack McBean:
MLS Champions again. Unbelievable. #blessed Lets celebrate this one!!
— Jack McBean (@jackmcbean) December 2, 2012
The Galaxy’s A.J. DeLaGarza
Oops we did it again... twitter.com/AJD_20/status/…
— AJ DeLaGarza (@AJD_20) December 2, 2012
2008 U.S. Olympic Team midfielder Sacha Kljestan:
Beckham, Thanks for everything you have done for MLS and our sport in America. It was fun playing against you. Good luck!!
— Sacha Kljestan (@SachaKljestan) December 2, 2012
U.S. Women’s Soccer Team forward Alex Morgan:
Congratulations to @lagalaxy What a turnaround from the start of season. And congrats to David Beckham on a great Journey with the team.
— Alex Morgan (@alexmorgan13) December 1, 2012
Columbus Crew midfielder Chris Birchall:
MASSIVE congrats to the best team in the MLS. Everyone said they wouldn't but the believers knew they could! @lagalaxy MLS CHAMPS AGAIN 2013
— Chris Birchall (@chrisbirchall7) December 2, 2012
D.C. United’s Michael Chabala
Congrats to @lagalaxy!
— Michael Chabala (@Chabala6) December 2, 2012
Sporting KC’s Jimmy Nielsen
Congrats to LA for winning the MLS Cup. #BeckhamIsALegend
— Jimmy Nielsen (@PumaNielsen1) December 2, 2012
Italian player Marco Di Vaio:
Congratulations L.A. to win the MLS cup!!!
— Marco Di Vaio (@divaio9) December 2, 2012
L.A. Lakers player Pau Gasol also caught Galaxy fever:
— Pau Gasol (@paugasol) December 2, 2012
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)