L.A. Judge: Jackson Family Lawsuit Can Proceed Against Concert Promoter AEG
A hearing for Katherine Jackson's civil suit against Dr. Conrad Murray will begin March 22, a week before Murray's criminal trial kicks off.
On Wednesday, L.A. Superior Court Judge Yvette Palazuelos denied a motion by AEG to dismiss Katherine Jackson's case against the concert promoter in the wrongful death of her famous son, Michael Jackson, reports Reuters.
Katherine Jackson's lawsuit, which was filed last September, claims AEG is responsible for medical decisions made by Dr. Conrad Murray, who was hired by AEG, that led to the pop singer's death on June 25, 2009.
In her statement, Judge Palazuelos said lawyers for Jackson's's 80-year-old mother would need to show evidence of fraud, negligent infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy.
Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter in connection with Jackson's death from an overdose of propofol, a powerful anesthetic that Murray reportedly gave the performer as a sleep aid along with other sedatives.
During a preliminary hearing last month in the criminal case against Murray, the judge in that separate suit found there was sufficient evidence to try the doctor for involuntary manslaughter.
Murray's criminal trial is set to begin on March 28, six days after the next scheduled hearing in Katherine Jackson's civil case on March 22.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's Top 25 Stylist, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grant Gustin Is Proud & Stoked to Wear 'Flash' Costume!
- Angelina Jolie Reveals She Will Have Another Preventative Cancer Surgery
- Shailene Woodley Slams 'Twilight' to 'Teen Vogue': It's About An Unhealthy, Toxic Relationship
- Sarah Michelle Gellar & James Wolk Are 'The Crazy Ones' at Hall of Fame Gala!