Lady Gaga Fires Back at Madonna Over 'Born This Way' Mashup (Video)
The queen of pop blended the 2011 hit with her “Express Yourself” during a recent concert, in which she chanted, “she’s not me.”
Lady Gaga has been a fierce opponent of bullying these past few years, but don’t expect her to take an attack lying down.
Without naming names, the pop star appeared to lash out at Madonna during a recent performance in New Zealand. In the middle of her empowering anthem “Hair,” Gaga took a break to say, “It sometimes makes people feel better about themselves to put other people down or make fun of them or maybe make a mockery of their work, and that doesn’t make me feel good at all. That just makes me feel like I’m not being a good human being.”
While kicking off her MDNA tour in Tel Aviv earlier this month, Madge made headlines for performing a mashup of Gaga’s “Born This Way” – which she once referred to as “reductive” – and her 1989 hit “Express Yourself.” She bookended the performance with the chant: “She’s not me.”
Speaking to her fans during Thursday’s show, Gaga opted for another passive-aggressive move.
“I don’t even want to fight back because it’s more important to me to keep writing music,” she said. “When I look into your eyes every night, I don't see a fan base that wants me to fight or bite or be shady and cunty the way that we all used to be. It’s OK. It’s fun, right? But at the end of the day we’re in a new place in society now.”
“Things are really different now than they were 25 years ago and that’s what makes ‘Born This Way’ so relevant for me, is that I really want you all to notice this tremendous place that we’re in right now,” she added. “We’re just socially in a completely different place and it’s OK, we don’t all have to slice and hate each other anymore.”
Hear Gaga’s complete rant in the video below, which begins right around the 2:30 mark.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills