Lana Del Rey Postpones First Israel Concert

 Nicole Nodland

Lana Del Rey has postponed her first-ever concert in Israel due to the hostilities in nearby Gaza. The "West Coast" singer-songwriter was scheduled to perform at the Tel Aviv Exhibition Grounds on Wednesday, Aug. 20.

According to the Jerusalem Post, organizers said a new date will be announced and that original tickets will be honored. A rep for Del Rey did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Her opening act, Max Jury, confirmed the news.

At press time, the concert remains listed on Del Rey's website, where at least one fan has reacted to the cancellation.

PHOTOS The Scene at Coachella 2014

"Lana, please come to Israel," writes Joseph Brenner. "We love you here, don't disappoint us, don't be effected by some people who got hates in their head, please, i would like to see you here, we got here beautiful country with good people, and beside, if to die somewhere, it's in the holy land... :) ... just joking a bit, cause we are all under pressure here, with this Hamas terrorists."

The singer is on tour in support of her latest studio album, Ultraviolence, which topped the Billboard 200 in June, selling 182,000 copies its first week.

Del Rey joins other artists who have either canceled or postponed concerts since the start of Operation Protective Edge, Israel's campaign to eradicate tunnels running between Hamas-controlled Gaza and Israel. This week, Cee Lo Green and Megadeth called off their shows, following cancellations by Neil Young, America, Kansas, Paul Anka and Backstreet Boys. Lady Gaga is set to perform in Tel Aviv on Sept. 13.

STORY Stars Face Hollywood Backlash in War of Words Over Israel

Since the current hostilities began on July 8, more than 1,880 Palestinians and 67 Israelis have been killed. A three-day truce expired on Friday morning, and the fighting has since resumed with no progress in peace negotiations.

As previously reported, the bloody conflict in Gaza has cost millions of dollars in lost revenue from international live acts. Carmi D. Wurtman, the CEO of live promoter 2b Vibes, put the number at around $10 million as of last week, and indie music promoter Eran Arielli estimates industry losses will be at $20 million by mid-August.

"I can't blame them at all" for their decisions to cancel, Wurtman told Billboard.

This article first appeared on Billboard.com.

comments powered by Disqus