Lars Von Trier's 'Melancholia' Trailer Online
End-of-the-world drama stars Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland.
BERLIN - Fans of Danish auteur Lars Von Trier got their first peek at his latest drama when the trailer for Melancholia went online today.
The film, billed as a "beautiful movie about the end of the world" stars Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland and Charlotte Gainsbourg. It is Von Trier's first feature since the controversial Antichrist, which also featured Gainsbourg. Melancholia promises to do for the sci-fi genre what Antichrist did for torture porn.
The trailer sets the scene: Kirsten Dunst's character Justine is celebrating her wedding to Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) at the luxurious home of sister Claire (Gainsbourg) and brother-in-law John (Sutherland). Meanwhile the planet Melancholia is heading towards earth, setting off a distructive chain of physical and psycological events.
Melancholia is expected to debut in Competition at the Cannes Film Festival next month. The film will bow in Scandinavia in May. Magnolia Pictures has picked up Melancholia for North American release.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- President Barack Obama & Zach Galifianakis Throw Insults Back & Forth for 'Between Two Ferns' (Video)
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting