Lars Von Trier's 'Melancholia' Trailer Online
End-of-the-world drama stars Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland.
BERLIN - Fans of Danish auteur Lars Von Trier got their first peek at his latest drama when the trailer for Melancholia went online today.
The film, billed as a "beautiful movie about the end of the world" stars Kirsten Dunst, Kiefer Sutherland and Charlotte Gainsbourg. It is Von Trier's first feature since the controversial Antichrist, which also featured Gainsbourg. Melancholia promises to do for the sci-fi genre what Antichrist did for torture porn.
The trailer sets the scene: Kirsten Dunst's character Justine is celebrating her wedding to Michael (Alexander Skarsgard) at the luxurious home of sister Claire (Gainsbourg) and brother-in-law John (Sutherland). Meanwhile the planet Melancholia is heading towards earth, setting off a distructive chain of physical and psycological events.
Melancholia is expected to debut in Competition at the Cannes Film Festival next month. The film will bow in Scandinavia in May. Magnolia Pictures has picked up Melancholia for North American release.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Week’s Best Game of Thrones Reader Comments: ‘The Lion and the Rose’
- Douglas Coupland on Being a Visual Artist, the ‘Torture’ of Interviews, and Unintended Side Effects
- Alan Thicke on His New Reality Sitcom and Being ‘Considerably More Boring Than Jason Seaver’
- 6 Forgotten Teen Films of the Late ’90s and Early ’00s