‘Last Resort’ Sells Wide for Sony
The new drama, produced by “The Shield’s” Shawn Ryan, premieres Thursday on ABC.
International buyers are hot for Shawn Ryan’s submarine series Last Resort.
Sony Pictures Television has presold the new drama to more than 100 countries worldwide ahead of its Thursday night debut on ABC .
Deals include ones with ProSieben in Germany, Fox n Italy, Mediaset in Spain and Digiturk in Turkey. Sony Pictures’ pay TV network AXN Asia will broadcast Last Resort across 20 territories including India, China and Hong Kong. Canadian broadcaster Shaw Global picked up the show earlier this year.
The deals comes ahead of Last Resort’s market debut at industry confab MIPCOM, which runs Oct. 8-11 in Cannes.
Andre Braugher (Men of a Certain Age) stars in Last Resort as Capt. Marcus Chaplin, the captain of a U.S. nuclear submarine who questions a dubious order to fire nuclear missiles and becomes, with his crew, fugitives from their own country. The crew commandeer a NATO listening station on a remote South Pacific island and declare themselves the world’s newest nuclear nation. What follows is a race against time as the crew struggles to uncover the truth while fighting internal dissent and growing resentment from the island locals.
Last Resort also stars Scott Speedman (Felicity), Daisy Betts (Person Unknown), Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse), Daniel Lissing (Home and Away) and Autumn Reeser (Entourage).
Ryan, whose credits include The Shield and Terriers, executive produced Last Resort with Karl Gajdusek (Dead Like Me) and Marney Hochman (Terriers).
- NFL Now Demands $16.6 Million Over M.I.A.'s Super Bowl Middle Finger (Exclusive)
- 'Lost' Showrunners on Killing Off Characters, the Polarizing Finale and More Unanswered Questions
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR