Lady Gaga's Former Creative Director Laurieann Gibson Speaks Out on Split (Exclusive)
In a statement to THR, Gibson says "I decided to step away" and acknowledges that her longtime friend and collaborator was "motivated to take the helm of the creative direction of her career."
In a break-up that ricocheted throughout the blogosphere, dance world and beyond, the Hollywood Reporter confirmed on Sunday that choreographer and creative director Laurieann Gibson is no longer working with Lady Gaga.
The exact cause of the split has yet to be revealed, though plenty are posturing about tension between the two longtime collaborators -- some claiming it stems from statements Gibson made in the press, others pointing to disparate visions for Gaga’s ever-evolving image. In an exclusive statement to THR, Gibson acknowledges that, “Recently, Lady Gaga was motivated to take the helm of the creative direction of her career.” But despite reports that she had been fired, Gibson says she “decided to step away.”
Indeed, Gibson, who is also an in-house creative director at Interscope Records, tasked with guiding the visual roll-outs of developing artists, seems to be taking the high road when it comes to the Haus of Gaga she helped build. While not particularly press-shy, she has yet to discuss the matter in depth or publicly. Gibson's only reaction thus far is her statement, printed below in its entirety:
“I am fulfilled with the work I have done with choreographing all of the iconic moves, creative directing the artist, appearances, shows, directing the tour, music videos, and the HBO Monster Ball, which was a culmination of my work as its creator and director. Recently, Lady Gaga was motivated to take the helm of the creative direction of her career and as such I decided to step away. I am extremely proud of her, and in stepping away I wish her all the best. I look forward to continuing my work with notable artists, as well as new artists that are part of my Interscope Records deal, and the upcoming seasons of my TV shows.”
Gibson is the star of E! series The Dance Scene, which is produced by Ryan Seacrest Productions.
Gaga is currently wrapping up a slate of promotional appearances in England, which included a performance of her latest single, "Marry the Night," on UK X Factor.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Michelle Obama Hosts Women in Soul Event, President Barack Obama Flubs Spelling of Aretha Franklin's 'Respect'
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!