Leah Remini Quits Scientology: Twitter Feed Hinted at 'Change' to Come
News that the "King of Queens" star parted ways with the church broke Thursday.
Leah Remini made headlines Thursday when she left the Church of Scientology, of which she had been a member for much of her life.
Despite the suddenness of the news, the actress hinted at questions of faith and self-evolution in messages posted to her Twitter feed in the days prior.
Remini, 43, had been a member of the church for at least three decades, and her mother became a Scientologist in the 1970s. Her husband, restaurateur Angelo Pagan, is also a Scientologist.
According to Underground Bunker blogger Tony Ortega, the actress had reached Operating Thetan Level Five in the Church, which is three rungs away from the highest spiritual level in Scientology.
Currently, the first tweet on her profile quotes Desmond Tutu, a South African civil rights activist who fought against Apartheid:
The God who existed before any religion counts on you to make the oneness of the human family known and celebrated. – Desmond Tutu
— Humanity's Team (@Humanitys_Team) July 10, 2013
Less than a week ago in one Twitter exchange, a fan inquired about forgiveness, Remini replied:
@mrcdesigner I'm no expert and have a lot of work to do myself- but I would assume, ownership of your own crap, forgiving yourself 4 it. ;)
— Leah Remini (@LeahRemini) July 5, 2013
After the death of James Gandolfini, one fan questioned why she was praying for him, due to her Scientology background, leading the actress to clarify her religious beliefs:
@staciewallis Catholics pray, yes.
— Leah Remini (@LeahRemini) June 24, 2013
Even a month ago, Remini retweeted this relevant message from Mastin Kipp of The Daily Love, a website that “serves soulful inspiration to a new generation”:
Sometimes starting over is how you really get started! #TDL
— Mastin Kipp (@TheDailyLove) June 17, 2013
On Thursday evening, Remini issued her first public statement since leaving Scientology. "I wish to share my sincere and heartfelt appreciation for the overwhelming positive response I have received from the media, my colleagues, and fans from around the world," she said. "I am truly grateful and thankful for all your support."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zosia Mamet Attends 'Hand To God' Opening Night with Boyfriend Evan Jonigkeit!
- Rita Ora Rocks Sexy Pink Bodysuit for L.A. Music Video Shoot!
- Shirtless Josh Henderson's Six Pack is Unreal in Op's Latest Campaign with Bikini-Clad Nina Agdal!
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!