LeAnn Rimes Sues for Invasion of Privacy, Cyberbullying
The 30-year-old singer, currently in rehab for stress and anxiety, accuses two women of "outrageous conduct."
LeAnn Rimes has filed an invasion of privacy lawsuit in Los Angeles against two women she alleges recorded her during a phone conversation and posted an edited version online.
Rimes' filing came Thursday, the same day her representative confirmed to THR that the 30-year-old country singer had entered a 30-day rehab facility to cope with stress and anxiety. "While there will be speculation regarding treatment, she is simply there to learn and develop coping mechanisms. While privacy isn’t expected, it’s certainly appreciated," Rimes' rep noted.
In the eight-page suit, Rimes seeks punitive damages from Kimberly Riley of California and another woman for cyberbulling.
Rimes claims Riley secretly taped a phone call between the two last spring after the singer had reached out to make peace, and that afterward, Riley and the unnamed woman posted excerpts on the blog, The Curious Case of LeAnn Rimes, presenting Rimes "in an extremely false and negative light."
“Though she has many supporters, over the past several years, Ms. Rimes has been the target of an increasingly aggressive Internet campaign by supporters of her husband Eddie Cibrian’s first wife," the document reads, according to the New York Daily News.
Rimes, who is married to Cibrian, an actor who most recently starred in TV's short-lived The Playboy Club, has had a famously contentious relationship with his ex, Brandi Glanville, a cast member on Bravo's Real Housewives of Beverly Hills. An affair between Rimes and Cibrian resulted in Cibrian's bitter 2010 divorce from Glanville, with whom he has two children.
“Until now, Ms. Rimes has patiently put up with the defendants’ campaign of harassment in the hope that they would tire of posting false and defamatory statements,” the suit says. "Her restraint has been rewarded with only escalating outrageous conduct by defendants."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws