Leighton Meester Is Leaving 'Gossip Girl'
The actress will wait until her contract is up.
Leighton Meester will leave Gossip Girl in two years, she says.
Why not go now? "Because we're under contract," Meester told E! Online while promoting Country Strong (in theaters Jan. 7) over the weekend.
She says she "obviously enjoys working on the show and living in New York," but wants to explore other projects. Producers have been understanding, she says.
"It allows you to be ready for when the show's over," adds Meester.
As for when the CW show, which premiered in 2007, will go off the air, she says, "I don't know," but hints it could be sooner rather than later: "I think there's that old saying about wanting to go out on top."
In August, show creator and executive producer Josh Schwartz shot down rumors that Blake Lively, who starred in The Town and will appear in Green Lantern, will leave the show.
"Have to respond. No truth to rumors that BL (Blake Lively) requested to have Serena killed. All is well," he wrote.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Neil Patrick Harris is the Theatrical Man of the Year at Hasty Pudding Awards!
- Kristen Bell Makes a Switcheroo for 'Veronica Mars' Premiere After Party!
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting