Lena Dunham Accepts Howard Stern's Apology During Radio Broadcast
The 'Girls' creator and the outspoken host have buried the hatchet after Stern referred to Dunham as "a little fat girl."
Two-time Golden Globe winner Lena Dunham appeared on Howard Stern’s Sirius XM show Wednesday to help rectify the remarks Stern made last week concerning her weight and hit television show Girls.
Stern apologized Monday for calling Dunham “a little fat girl who looks like Jonah Hill” and told his show producer Gary Dell'Abate, “I would like to explain myself on the air and apologize to her because I do love the show, and it makes me feel bad that she is getting the impression that I somehow think she's just a talentless little fat chick."
Dunham called in to Stern’s show Wednesday for that apology. It turns out, Stern had only watched two of the 10 first-season episodes of the series before he formed his opinion and made it known on-air. He told Dunham that now, after watching three more episodes, “I realize: not only am I addicted, but I totally get you. I’m in love with you and your character.”
But when it came time for that apology, Stern said, “It’s not about apologizing, although I want to say I’m a fan of yours. … I love you, and I think you’re terrific.“
While Dunham responded with an admiration for Stern and his “particular brand of free speech,” she admitted that her issue was with his comments about her weight.
“I’m not super-thin, but I’m thin for, like, Detroit,” Dunham joked. Stern then proceeded to say that Dunham wasn’t “obese or anything.” She laughed off the remark and admitted that even given the uncertainty of the apology she received, she still was a fan of Stern.
“I appreciate your effort to rectify [this], but whether you’d done that or not, I’d have remained a [Howard Stern] enthusiast,” Dunham said.
The second season of Dunham’s brainchild Girls airs Sundays on HBO.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack