Les Blank to Receive Hot Docs Outstanding Achievement Award
The Canadian festival will also give the American filmmaker, best known for his 1982 documentary "Burden of Dreams," a film retrospective.
TORONTO - American documentary maker Les Blank is to receive the 2013 outstanding achievement award at the upcoming Hot Docs Canadian International Documentary Festival.
The Canadian festival also plans a focus on Polish documentaries as part of its Made In sidebar, and will pay tribute to local filmmaker Peter Mettler.
Blank, whose credits include Burden of Dreams, the 1982 chronicle of Werner Herzog’s chaotic film Fitzcarraldo, is also to receive a retrospective during the 20th edition of the Canadian festival.
“His is an incredible body of work that explores culture, music, personality and beyond with grace, humor and the highest caliber of craft, and one which has also inspired generations of filmmakers. I can’t wait to bring this retrospective to the Festival and celebrate Les’ wonderful work,” Hot Docs director of programming Charlotte Cook said in a statement on news of Blank’s tribute.
Past Hot Docs outstanding achievement award honorees include Heddy Honigmann, Werner Herzog, Errol Morris and Albert Maysles.
Mettler will receive a Focus On retrospective at Hot Docs, which honors a mid-career Canadian filmmaker.
His documentary credits include Picture of Light, Gambling, Gods and LSD and his most recent title, The End of Time.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills