THR's Actress Roundtable: Anne Hathaway Says Co-Hosting Oscars Was Seen as 'Massive Failure' (Video)
“It looked slightly manic and hyper cheerleadery on screen," she said of her performance, adding she had been "playing to the house" rather than the TV audience.
Anne Hathaway acknowledges her turn as 2011 Oscar co-host left several critics less than impressed.
“I went into it with a lot of trust and a lot of hope, and I had a blast doing it,” she said during The Hollywood Reporter's Actress Roudntable.
But in hindsight, Hathaway thinks she made a mistake by “playing to the house” rather than to the TV audience.
“I was just shooting energy to the back [of the house]. It was like a big party. It was great” she said. “I think it looked slightly manic and hyper cheerleadery on screen…. Whether or not it was an actual failure, it was perceived as a massive failure.”
Hathaway, a frontrunner to receive a best supporting nod for Les Miserables, also reflected on her decision to cut off the paparazzi.
“I realized they had no interest in who I was as a person,” she said, recalling a time when she confronted a paparazzo, and he said “You knew what you were getting into.”
“I think that’s a really weird take on it. That we all assumed that we were going to become famous and that we were going to be successful, when we are so the anomalies.”
Hathaway joined Amy Adams, Marion Cotillard, Sally Field, Naomi Watts, Rachel Weisz, and Helen Hunt. The roundtable was moderated by THR news editor Matt Belloni and executive editor Stephen Galloway.
Watch the full, uncensored interview here.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'