Samantha Barks Lands the Role of Eponine in Tom Hooper's 'Les Miserables'
Barks, who beat out a list of high-profile Hollywood candidates including Taylor Swift, Scarlett Johansson, Lea Michele and Evan Rachel Wood, will reprise the role she played twice on stage.
Samantha Barks is set to play Eponine in Les Miserables, director Tom Hooper’s forthcoming adaptation of the classic novel and stage musical. Barks played Eponine in a 2010 London production of Les Miserables and reprised the role for the 2011 Les Miserables 25th Anniversary Concert at the 02 Arena.
Barks learned she got the role when theatre producer Cameron Mackintosh appeared at the curtain call of Barks' current gig on Oliver! at Manchester Palaceand announced the news. Barks joins Russell Crowe, Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway in Hooper’s follow-up to his Best Picture Oscar winner The King’s Speech. Barks beat out higher-profile candidates Taylor Swift, Scarlett Johansson, Lea Michele and Evan Rachel Wood for the role.
Hooper is directing the film from a script by Alain Boubil, Claude-Michel Schönberg and Gladiator scribe William Nicholson. Produced by Tim Bevan, Eric Fellner, Debra Hayward and Cameron Mackintosh, distributor Universal Pictures has scheduled the film for release on Dec. 7, 2012.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR