LevelFILM Launches With Acquisition of Chen Kaige's 'Caught in the Web'
David Hudakoc and Michael Baker's Toronto-based distribution banner plans to distribute 10 to 12 titles per year.
New distribution company levelFILM is launching with the acquisition of its first title -- North American rights to Chen Kaige’s Caught in the Web.
David Hudakoc and Michael Baker's Toronto-based banner plans to distribute 10 to 12 titles per year, with a balance of both traditional platform theatricals, along with day & date digital releases.
Kaige’s drama follows a young woman, who after learning of a terminal illness, is caught on video mistreating an elderly bus passenger. The video goes viral, which in turn throws the woman's life into chaos.
“We are thrilled to be working with Kaige on such a poignant and topical film,” said Hudakoc. “It’s an honor to have the levelFILM journey begin with such an accomplished and talented filmmaker.”
Caught in the Web was written by Kaige and Danian Tang and stars Yuanyuan Gao, Chen Yao, Mark Chao, Hong Chen and Xueqi Wang. Kaige's previous films include the Palme d’Or winner and Oscar nominated Farewell My Concubine.
levelFILM plans to release the film first in New York, Los Angeles and Toronto in late October, and then expand to 15-20 major markets at a later date.
Acquisitions are being handled jointly by Baker and Hudakoc, with Baker also overseeing content development. Baker and Hudakoc bring more than 20 years of experience to their new joint venture. Following his role as VP, Acquisitions & Development at THINKFilm, Baker consulted on acquisitions for eOne Films, as well as produced a number of films, Hudakoc spent the last four years at Alliance Films directing sales and marketing for home entertainment. He previously worked at Phase 4 Films and THINKFilm
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Bryan Singer, 'X-Men' Director, Calls Suit A 'Sick, Twisted Shakedown'
- The Club 47 Folk Revival Explores the Iconic History of Old Cambridge Folk Club
- Jack Kilmer Talks 'Palo Alto,' His Acting Career And Growing Up With Famous Parents
- Lupita Nyong'o and America's Complicated Relationship With Beauty