Levon Helm in 'Final Stages' of Cancer Battle
"Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey," read a statement signed by Helm's daughter and wife posted on his official website.
The Band's Levon Helm is losing his decade-long battle with cancer.
Helm, 71, "is in the final stages of his battle with cancer," read a statement posted on the musician's official website by his wife Sandy and daughter Amy, the latter of whom frequently performed with him.
"Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey," the statement continued.
His family went on to thank Helm's fans for their support throughout his career.
"Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his life so filled with joy and celebration… he has loved nothing more than to play, to fill the room up with music, lay down the back beat, and make the people dance! He did it every time he took the stage…," it read.
Helm was diagnosed with throat cancer in the late 1990s and underwent intensive radiation treatment which greatly damaged his voice.
At the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony last weekend, Helm's ex-bandmate Robbie Robertson offered his "prayers and love."
In recent weeks, Helm canceled several scheduled shows.
Billboard contributed to this report.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)