Liberty Global Takes Stake in Top Dutch Cable Operator
John Malone's cable group will pay $810 million for just over 12 percent in Ziggo, the largest cable operator in the Netherlands.
COLOGNE, Germany -- John Malone continues his European cable TV buying spree. Slightly more than a month after agreeing to pay $23.3 billion for Virgin Media in the U.K., Malone's Liberty Global has put up another $810 million for a minority stake in Ziggo, the leading cable operator in the Netherlands.
The Dutch deal, which will give Liberty Global 12.65 percent of Ziggo, follows major expansion across Europe for Liberty, which is benefiting from a cable boom across the continent. Liberty already controls UPC Netherlands, a major Dutch cable group with 1.73 million customers and 2012 revenue of more than $1.2 billion (€955.6 million). Its parent operator, UPC Holding, which serves more than 10 million European customers in Western and Eastern Europe, booked operating profits of $1.36 billion (€1.06 billion) last year.
In Germany, Europe's largest cable TV market, Liberty last year completed its merger between cable groups UnityMedia and Kabel BW, forming a national giant with more than 11 million subscribers and $2.3 billion in annual revenue.
Liberty recently increased its stake in Belgian cable operator Telenet Group to 58.4 percent, part of the company's strategy to consolidate cable operators across Europe.
Liberty will finance its acquisition of the Ziggo stake through existing cash flow and a non-recourse margin loan. Because the deal does not give Liberty control of Ziggo, no regulatory approval is required.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram