Liberty Media Sees Share Repurchases, Dividends and a Spin Off Once it Controls Sirius XM Radio
“It could become the core of what Liberty Media is,” CEO Greg Maffei said of Sirius XM.
Liberty Media CEO Greg Maffei hinted at share repurchases and dividends when his company takes over Sirius XM Radio but didn’t give specific clues as to operational changes.
“It could become the core of what Liberty Media is,” Maffei said of Sirius XM, a company Liberty owns more than 49 percent of and will soon purchase enough stock to control.
“Where does this business go for the long term?,” Maffei asked Wednesday. “That’s something we’ll work on, and we’ll have the opportunity once we’re over 50 (percent), and somewhere down the road we could choose to spin the asset out and have it be a freestanding stock. And at some point that may become logical. But I don’t see that as something we need to get done in the near term.”
Maffei was speaking at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch Media, Communications & Entertainment Conference in Los Angeles a few hours after Sirius XM CEO Mel Karmazin speculated at the same conference that his reign there is close to over and that LIberty would install a new board of directors.
Maffei said that “operational changes are not our focus” at Sirius XM and that he’d rather “encourage what they have” already been doing there. First, he said, Liberty will "work to leverage the balance sheet."
“I suspect the difference between being at 49 percent and 51 is probably not substantial,” Maffei said.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!