'Life of Pi' Becomes 2012's Highest-Grossing Hollywood Release in India
Ang Lee's multiple Oscar-nominated film is also estimated to be the third-highest Hollywood earner of all time in the country.
NEW DELHI -- Since its Nov. 23 release here, Ang Lee's Life of Pi has grossed 900 million rupees ($17 million) according to its India distributor Fox Star Studios. That makes it the highest-grossing Hollywood release here for 2012.
Starring newcomer Suraj Sharma in the lead role, the film also features acclaimed Indian actors Irrfan Khan and actress Tabu.
Pi has managed to overtake last summer's tentpole release The Amazing Spiderman, which grossed an estimated 810 million rupees in India. Released by Sony Pictures India, Spiderman nevertheless recorded the highest opening weekend for a Hollywood release here, collecting 340 million rupees.
Life of Pi is still in release in English and local language dubbed versions. The film is also estimated to be the third-highest grossing Hollywood release of all time in India behind James Cameron's Avatar and Roland Emmerich's 2012.
Avatar crossed over 1 billion rupees for its India distributor Fox Star Studios, while Sony's 2012 collected about 900 million rupees during its run. Along with Titanic, Fox Star Studios now has three of the top-five biggest Hollywood grossers of all time in India.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR