'Life of Pi' to Get Dolby Atmos Mix
The Ang Lee-directed film will be Fox's third release in the new sound format.
Ang Lee's first 3D movie Life of Pi will be mixed and released in Dolby Atmos, making it the third film from Twentieth Century Fox to be offered in the new sound format.
Previously announced Atmos titles from Fox are Taken 2 and Oct. 26 release Chasing Mavericks.
Re-recording mixers Doug Hemphill and Ron Bartlett will helm the Atmos mix of Life of Pi, which opens on Nov. 21.
“We have been very impressed with the ability of Dolby Atmos to deliver a new level of storytelling with the soundscapes for Taken 2 and Chasing Mavericks and expect Dolby Atmos to deliver an amazing experience for audiences with Life of Pi, said Chris Aronson, president, domestic distribution at Fox, in a statement.
Unveiled in April, Atmos creates a lifelike sound experience by lining speakers along the theater’s front, rear and side walls, as well as overhead. It can play up to 128 channels of sound at once.
Disney/Pixar’s Brave was the first film to be mixed in Atmos. It premiered last spring in the format at the newly-renamed Dolby Theatre.
Theaters that will offer Life of Pi in Atmos have not yet been announced.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game