Lindsay Lohan to Plead No Contest in Necklace Theft Case (Report)

John Sciulli/Getty Images for Giuseppe Zanotti Design

The actress hopes to avoid adding jail time to her 120-day sentence so she can get back to work.

In an attempt to avoid extra jail time, Lindsay Lohan will enter a no contest plea for a misdemeanor theft charge, a source close to the actress told the Associated Press on Saturday. 

Judge Stephanie Sautner sentenced the actress last week to 120 days in jail as well as 480 hours of community service for violating her probation in a 2007 drunk driving charge.  Lohan violated her probation by wearing a $2,500 gold necklace out of a Venice jewelry store and failing to return it to the company until she learned detectives were planning to search her home, the judge said. 
 
By entering a no contest plea, the Mean Girls star, 24, would not be admitting guilt for the crime. But her lawyer, Shawn Chapman Holley, hopes that the plea will show the judge Lohan is serious about moving on, KTLA reported.
 
Earlier this week she appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno and diplomatically
stated she plans to take responsibility for her “poor decisions” so she can focus her attention, and the public’s, back on her acting career.  Lohan recently accepted the role of mobster John Gotti Jr.’s wife in “Gotti: Three Generations.” 
 
The actress is due back in court May 11 for a pretrial hearing, but the AP source said Lohan wants to resolve the case before then. She is currently
free on $75,000 bail.

 

Email: Jane.Kellogg@THR.com

comments powered by Disqus