Lionel Richie's 'Tuskegee' Tops Record Sales at Mid-Year Mark
The Grammy winner's latest country album is the best-selling album released in 2012 for the first half of the year.
R&B and pop icon Lionel Richie's third No.1 album Tuskegee has sold approximately 912,000 copies in the first half of 2012, more than any other album released this year, according to Billboard.
The country duets album was released on March 26, debuting at No. 2 on the Billboard 200 and No. 1 on the country albums chart.
Tuskegee features duets of 13 of Richie's classic hits, featuring vocals by Shania Twain, Kenny Rogers, Jason Aldean and Kenny Chesney. It claimed the top spot on the overall Billboard Top 200 albums chart for two consecutive weeks and held steady atop the Billboard Country Albums chart for four weeks.
With sales now topping 934,000, it's been a successful past few months for the pop veteran.
“What a year!” Richie says in a statement. “This album has taken me on an unforgettable journey filled with new friends, new jokes and new musical inspirations. I am overwhelmed and humbled by the success of Tuskegee and am thrilled by how it has been embraced by music lovers of all ages and backgrounds around the world.”
Richie is scheduled to perform on NBC's The Tonight Show with Jay Leno on Tuesday, July 17 and will appear on the E! Network's Chelsea Lately on Wednesday, July 18. The singer is performing shows across the United States and is scheduled to tour Europe this fall.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR