Lionsgate Exec Joe Drake Hopes to Turn 'Abduction' into 'Bourne'-like Franchise (Video)
"There's lots of places we could take this story," the studio's president of motion pictures tells THR.
With the official release of Lionsgate's upcoming thriller Abduction still one week away, the studio has high hopes for their latest leading man, Taylor Lautner.
"When you watch Taylor, he's like a young Tom Cruise," the studio's president of motion pictures, Joe Drake, told The Hollywood Reporter at the film's Hollywood premiere. "The way he handles his business, he's such a pro."
The film has drawn comparisons to Universal's wildly popular Matt Damon vehicle, The Bourne Identity, even including a reference to the film's star in one of its crucial scenes. While the premise of the films vary, Drake told THR that he wouldn't mind taking a cue from the 2002 film.
"I know that Taylor and Lionsgate would both like to see this become a big franchise," he said. "You know, we think it's our Bourne."
"The story is set up where there's a great character created in this, and so -- with success -- there's lots of places we could take this story, for sure," he added.
"I think we're gonna get at least 2 or 3 movies out of this," director John Singleton was quick to continue.
Fresh off his Twilight Saga duties, Lautner would likely welcome the action franchise commitment with open arms. Still, the actor told THR that he would be interested in pursuing a comedic project in the future.
"My dream is to continue to challenge myself in a wide variety for roles and genres," he said. "I just like having fun and with comedy -- so like, Valentine's Day, Funny or Die, SNL -- I just go out there and be myself and have fun."
Abduction hits theaters nationwide on Sept. 23. Lautner can also be seen in The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 when it opens on Nov. 18.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack