Lionsgate and Simon Fuller Partner for Scripted Musical Drama
The studio and the "American Idol" creator and EP are collaborating on a series that follows a young California band.
Lionsgate and television producer Simon Fuller said Wednesday that they're partnering for a scripted musical drama following the lives and careers of a young California band.
The collaboration finds the American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance and Q'Viva! The Chosen EP returning to scripted television, a genre he has largely avoided for the past decade after working on the popular U.K. series Miami 7 and its multiple spinoffs, which also launched the musical career of pop act S Club 7.
"I am full of positive anticipation for this new collaboration and delighted to partner with Jon Feltheimer, Kevin Beggs and the rest of the team at Lionsgate, one of the most dynamic and innovative companies in the entertainment industry," Fuller said. "From Mad Men and Weeds to The Hunger Games, Lionsgate has demonstrated the global perspective, creative instincts and marketing prowess to build successful franchises for the future. Our combined powers and vision promise to make for an exciting new entertainment property."
Development has the untitled series being shaped for both broadcast and cable outlets, and showrunner meetings already are underway. Lionsgate and Fuller also say that they've begun the search for four young actors who also are skilled musicians.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills