Lionsgate Takes Croatian Crime Format 'Rest in Peace'
The series, about a young journalist and a retired prison guard who investigate crimes from the country's past, is the first-ever Croatian drama sold to the U.S.
Lionsgate has picked up the remake rights to Rest in Peace, a crime procedural from Croatia, marking the first time a Croatian format has sold to a major North American production company.
Originally produced by Ring Multimedia for local public broadcaster HRT, Rest in Peace stars Judita Frankovic (Sonja and the Bull) as a young journalist who teams up with a retired prison guard (veteran actor Miodrag Krivokapic) to investigate the secrets buried in a prison cemetery. The show has garnered critical acclaim for its examination of Croatia's troubled past -- including during the Yugoslav war and under communist dictatorship.
Ring owner Dario Vince created the series based on an idea from Koraljka Mestrovic and Goran Rukavina.
The first 12-episode season of Rest in Peace attracted attention last year at the Seoul International Drama Awards, where it was part of the official competition.
Ring is currently in negotiations for a second season of the show on HRT. A U.S. version is not expected before 2015, an HRT spokesperson said. Swedish sales group Eccho Rights is handling international sales on the original series.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR