Lionsgate Wins U.K. Box Office Over the Weekend
LONDON -- Lionsgate UK is heralding an unusual box office situation for an indie distributor with three of its releases in the top four after the weekend ending April 22.
The release of Salmon Fishing In The Yemen hooked £1.2 million ($1.93 million) landing second top spot.
The first week on release tally nosed ahead of Lionsgate's ongoing roll out of The Hunger Games which bit off £1.1 million ($1.77 million) for third place.
And in fourth spot and the distributor's third top five performer is Cabin In The Woods scaring and laughing its way to £1 million ($1.61 million).
But the trio of Lionsgate million pound performers couldn't fight to the top of the charts for the weekend tally as Universal's Battleship sunk all-comers with £1.3 million ($2.09 million).
Top five UK for April 20-22
1. Battleship (Universal) £1,282,091 ($2,066,000)
2. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen £1,169,235 ($1,882,000)
3. The Hunger Games £1,070,787 ($1,722,000)
4. Cabin In The Woods £1,033,533 ($1,663,000)
5. Titanic 3D £925,740 ($1,490,110)