Lionsgate U.K. Picks Up Three Hot Market Titles (Cannes)
"Playing The Field," "Medallion" and "Trap For Cinderella" picked up for U.K. distribution.
CANNES -- Lionsgate U.K. hustled deals for British rights to a trio of hot market titles led by romantic comedy Playing The Field, starring Gerard Butler alongside Jessica Biel and Uma Thurman, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Judy Greer and Dennis Quaid.
Directed by Gabriele Muccino, Playing The Field is currently shooting and details the story of an ex-professional football player and his relationship with his young son after his marriage falls apart.
Lionsgate also snared U.K. rights to Medallion in a deal with seller Nu Image. Directed by Simon West, Medallion reteams West with Nicolas Cage for the first time since Con Air. Set during Mardi Gras in New Orleans, the David Guggenheim-penned script tells the tale of a double crossed master thief who gets sent to jail before emerging with the ambition of rebuilding his relationship with his daughter but finds himself caught up in one last heist.
Lionsgate also grabbed Iain Softley's psychological thriller Trap For Cinderella, in a deal with Ealing Metro.
An adaptation of Sebastien Japrisot's novel, it explores the mystery surrounding two women, one rich, one poor, trapped inside a beach house fire, which renders one of them burnt beyond recognition.
Tuppence Middleton, Alexandra Roach, Kerry Fox and Frances de la Tour star in the movie currently shooting in the U.K. Robert Jones, Dixie Linder and Softley are producing.
Lionsgate U.K. CEO Zygi Kamasa said the mix of acquisitions indicate the distributors "scale and diversity of our acquisitions activity" as it looks for commercial, mainstream movies for the U.K.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Amanda Seyfried and Cara Delevingne are Joining Pan
- Theater Review: Michelle Williams and Alan Cumming Come (Back) to the Cabaret
- Christopher Meloni on Surviving Jack, Surviving Dinosaurs, and Why His Oz Character Was Revolutionary
- Hedwig and the Angry Inch Director on Those Fake Hurt Locker Playbills