Locarno: Attendance Figures Up, 2014 Dates Set
The 66th edition of the lakeside Swiss event concluded Saturday with the Piazza Grande prize ceremony.
ROME – The Locarno Film Festival, which concluded Saturday with the presentation of its Golden Leopard for Best Film to Albert Serra’s Historia de la meva mort (Story of My Death), said Sunday that attendance from the public, industry figures, and the media all increased slightly compared to last year’s edition.
The event also announced the dates for its 67th edition, which will be held August 6-16.
The festival, under the artistic direction of Carlo Chatrian and chief operating officer Mario Timbal for the first time this year, drew a total of 162,919 spectators, an increase of a little less than 1 percent compared to last year. The increase came despite rains that limited attendance in the 8,000-seat outdoor Piazza Grande venue for the first three days of the festival.
The event also issued 4,114 delegation credentials, 929 for journalists and photographers, and 1,013 for industry figures -- all slightly higher than last year’s levels.
Marco Solari, the festival’s president, praised Chatrian and Timbal, while Chatrian declared satisfaction with his inaugural edition as artistic director following several years as a programmer: “For 11 days, Locarno was a celebration of cinema,” he said.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!