Locarno: Attendance Figures Up, 2014 Dates Set
ROME – The Locarno Film Festival, which concluded Saturday with the presentation of its Golden Leopard for Best Film to Albert Serra’s Historia de la meva mort (Story of My Death), said Sunday that attendance from the public, industry figures, and the media all increased slightly compared to last year’s edition.
The event also announced the dates for its 67th edition, which will be held August 6-16.
The festival, under the artistic direction of Carlo Chatrian and chief operating officer Mario Timbal for the first time this year, drew a total of 162,919 spectators, an increase of a little less than 1 percent compared to last year. The increase came despite rains that limited attendance in the 8,000-seat outdoor Piazza Grande venue for the first three days of the festival.
The event also issued 4,114 delegation credentials, 929 for journalists and photographers, and 1,013 for industry figures -- all slightly higher than last year’s levels.
Marco Solari, the festival’s president, praised Chatrian and Timbal, while Chatrian declared satisfaction with his inaugural edition as artistic director following several years as a programmer: “For 11 days, Locarno was a celebration of cinema,” he said.