Lola turns to TV production
Spain's leading independent producer Lola Films has acquired a 73% stake in TV production company Radio Plus, marking a ramping up of its television content activities, maverick Spanish producer Andres Vicente Gomez announced Wednesday.
Radio Plus is the producer of radio and television programs done by Concha Garcia Campoy, Gomez's wife and a well-known Spanish journalist.
The company has already started on its first production, "El Consul de Sodoma," depicting the life of Spanish poet Jaime Gil de Biedma. The €6 million ($8.1 million) film, set in Barcelona in the 1960s and '70s, will be directed by Agustin Villaronga and star Guillermo Toledo.
"At Lola, we've always enjoyed producing for television and Radio Plus has this specialization," Gomez said. "But I can't hide the fact that the film sector is not so strong right now, and producing for TV helps to bolster the company."
On the film side, Lola is in postproduction on the €17 million ($23 million) "Manolete," starring Adrien Brody and Penelope Cruz in a tale about the legendary bullfighter that is directed by Menno Myjes. It also is shooting "Lolita's Club," directed by Vicente Aranda and starring Eduardo Noriega.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR