Lollapalooza Expanding to Brazil in 2012
Coldplay, Muse and Eminem headline the 20th incarnation of the festival, which kicked off Friday in Chicago.
As Lollapalooza kicked off its 20th anniversary edition Friday in Chicago, organizers announced international expansion plans. The concert will take place in Brazil for the very first time next year on April 7 and 8 at Sao Paulo's Jockey Club. It will also make a return trip to Santiago, Chile on March 31 and April 1.
Festival founder Perry Farrell said in a statement, "The Brazilians have a very rich history of celebration. If we (Lolla) can rub together with them, there's no telling what heights that party will reach."
PHOTOS: Top 10 Highest Paid Music Artists Lollapalooza began as a touring concert in 1991 and was reborn as a destination festival in 2005 taking place at Chicago's Grant Park. This year's lineup boasts 130 bands on eight stages including Eminem, Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Muse, My Morning Jacket and deadmau5.
Three-day tickets for the event go for as much as $215, and a record 90,000 people are expected to attend. The festival site has been expanded by 35 acres to accommodate the bigger crowd.
William Morris Endeavor and C3 Presents produce the event in the U.S.; Lotus Producciones is its Chilean partner and GEO Eventos is its Brazilian partner.
WME's Marc Geiger, a festival co-founder, told the Los Angeles Times that Lollapalooza is eyeing a third international stop for 2013.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)