'The Lone Ranger' Bows at No. 4 in Japan as Miyazaki Stays on Top for Third Weekend
"Monsters University" nears $60 million on its fifth weekend as summer break drives the film's box office.
TOKYO – Hayao Miyazaki’s The Wind Rises (Kaze Tachinu) pulled in another $5.7 million (556 million yen) over the weekend, taking its cumulative to $44.4 million (4.36 billion yen) since its release on July 20. Monsters University dropped one spot to third, but took its total to $59 million and 4.5 million admissions with another strong weekend.
The two cartoon box office giants were separated by The After-Dinner Mysteries (Eiga: Nazotoki wa Dinner no Ato de), a Fuji TV drama spin-off, which opened in the second spot with $4.1 million from 306 screens.
The Lone Ranger took the fourth spot on the rankings on its opening weekend, grossing a solid, if unspectacular, $3.2 million (315 million) on 518 screens, despite some heavy promotion, including Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer visiting for the Japan premiere.
The latest Pocket Monsters film dropped to sixth on the rankings, but has now taken $19.1 million after a month in theaters. Emperor (Shusen no Emperor), starring Tommy Lee Jones as General Douglas MacArthur, the head of the U.S. occupying forces in post-war Japan, dropped to seventh in its second week of release, and now has a cumulative of $5.5 million.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- William Guarnere Dead: 'Band Of Brothers' Vet Dies At 90
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws