'The Lone Ranger' to Hit U.K. Imax Theaters Two Days Ahead of Local Wide Release
Disney will be looking to boost box office with an early Imax opening, to help overcome the film's poor U.S. performance.
LONDON -- Disney has inked a deal with Imax to push Gore Verbinkski's The Lone Ranger into 21 British theaters two days before the scheduled wide-release rollout of the blockbuster in the U.K.
After the film flopped at the North American box office, the studio is hoping to bolster U.K. box office with an early Imax release of the action western, starring Johnny Depp and Armie Hammer as Tonto and the Lone Ranger, respectively.
The film will be in Imax theaters from Aug. 7, in advance of the wide release on August 9.
"We've always enjoyed working with Disney, [producer] Jerry Bruckheimer and Johnny Depp, and we look forward to having Gore Verbinski’s first Imax picture released in our network," said Greg Foster, chairman and president of Imax Entertainment.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR