'Longest Ride' Moves to Avoid Showdown With 'Fifty Shades of Grey'
UPDATED: Instead, 20th Century Fox has decided to open "Poltergeist" opposite "Fifty Shades."
Avoiding a Valentine's Day showdown next year with Fifty Shades of Grey, female-skewing romantic drama The Longest Ride is pushing its release to Easter weekend.
Based on Nicholas Sparks' novel, Longest Ride will open on April 3, 2015, versus Feb. 13. Studios insiders say the switch gives them more time to finish Longest Ride. They also note that female pics do strong business during the Easter holiday.
But Fox isn't abandoning Valentine's Day weekend altogether. Instead, the studio will open Poltergeist opposite Universal's Fifty Shades on Feb. 13. Fox is partnering with MGM on the horror remake.
In other changes and additions to its release calendar, Fox is moving up this year's Night at the Museum 3 from Dec. 25 to Dec. 19.
And the studio has set a July 29, 2016, release for Rise of the Planet of the Apes 3.
Rounding out its 2014 summer schedule, Fox will open R-rated action-comedy Let's Be Cops on Aug. 13. The film stars Jake Johnson and Damon Wayans Jr.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR